We have one of our new DT members kicking off the Digi Friday's again - it's Andie, and we think you'll agree she has done a terrific job. She was very nervous about doing her first tutorial.
This week our sponsor is the fabulous Lexi's Creations and Lexi is offering 3 images of your choice
So, over to Andie....
This week I've had the pleasure of using an image from of wonderful sponsor Lexi, from Lexi's Doodles. I chose to colour her gorgeous digi, Elaina. I just adored her from the moment I saw her.
As this is my first tutorial, I just wanted to share with you, the technique I use for colouring with Promarkers. Before I start though there are several factors I try to consider.
1. I choose my DP before I start colouring. In this case I used Basic Grey Cappella papers. I look for an overall tone. That way, if I don't have Promarkers that match the papers exactly I use a colour that matches the tone of the paper to blend my colours to more closely to the DPs.
2. I decide where I think the light would come from, & using lightest shade first leave white highlights to emphasise this. I then practice with the same shade to show where the shadows would be, before using my darker colours to make sure I get it right. If I don't, there's always the blender pen!
3. I always make two copies, so I can practice as I go along if necessary!
So here is Elaina!
I like my characters to have a healthy glow. For skin tones I use Ivory as my base. Then use Vanilla for darker areas toward the edge of the face & blush around the hair line & where there is more shadow.
I've given her blond hair. Here I used Buttercup as a base. Then increased the intensity with Mustard, Sandstone & Cinnamon towards the darker areas. The darker you dare go with the shadows, the more the highlights stand out. I blended them altogether again with Buttercup.
On the green areas, I used Meadow Green as my lightest shade, receeding towards the shadowy areas with Apple & Sandstone. Again using Meadow Green to blend.
For the dress I used Dusky Pink as my base colour, with large areas of white to begin with. I then added Blossom & Carnation Pink to accentuate the colour, but again used Sandstone in the darker areas to tone my colouring with my DPs. Finally blending everything together again with Dusky Pink.
Finally, here is the finished image. I simply used Meadow Green & Dusky Pink on her wings & went over them with the blending pen to make them look as light & gossamer as possible.
I hope this has helped some of you with your colouring techniques. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
You can see the finished image on Andie's card in this week's challenge
Hugs Gina, Denise and the DT xx